Saturday 16 July 2011

Choices

My neighbour used to be a high flyer but is now driving part time taxi as he was unable to get the same type of job no matter how many years he applied. Same for relatives and some ex colleagues. Stories like this are not uncommon in Singapore. We even have PHD guys/former AStar professors driving taxis here, so what wants and needs are we talking about? We are talking about basic survival here in SG, not even talking about wants.

Sure, while we are still gainfully employed and earning substantial wages, we can talk about wants but now the discussion is about a basic HDB flat, basic living and how even this is getting to be unachievable in SG.

While we are still young and able to make choices, we should establish a back up plan. If you haven't noticed by now, most of the FTs, including from Malaysia have hinterlands to go back to in case things don't work out here. Why would they not want to give up their citizenship back home otherwise?

Some people here make enough to make most local graduates here blush. I am not leaving because i can't make it here, i am leaving and making plans because i can. Just like how the FTs are doing here in SG, i am going the reverse route to make sure i have back up.

I am pretty comfortable at my current level but one has to look ahead and be less myopic especially if one is the main breadwinner/captain of the family. What if one day i lose my job, not talking about now as i can easily get one elsewhere but one day when i am old(50 and above).

Inflation is always a rising tide and reduces our savings substantially. What happens when one is old and by then unable to get a job and has little savings? No doubt i have enough in investments currently but who knows how things can change, I don't want to depend on my kids who will have a hard enough time here.

Who says one need to work in MY? Why do you have this worker mentality that we must work in order to survive? Have you considered income from rental or business? No wonder in Hokkien, wages/salaries are still called "coolie gang", because we still have mentalities of coolies!

I don't have to travel every day to and fro from Singapore as i can work from home. So the advantage of this is that i can continue to work in my company and i will get my pay in SGD and live in MY and pay MYR. Of course, i will still contribute to nation building every year. Once i have enough rental to sustain my family in MYR without taking into account of my pay, next step is NZ, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Well said... Same thinking.. We move because we have the choice. No one own me a living, so I need to work for what I believe in.. And my success is not defined by PAP or the society.. My success will be defined by my moral value and what I want out of my life..

    ReplyDelete